Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Asking For Money Birthday Poems

Research is art


Manuela Pellegrini, a young researcher at Tor Vergata and AIRC with a past in the States, gave an interesting speech a few days ago at the Maxxi Rome. Followed and appreciated by the students, the discourse of the research was focused on the parallels between art and research. The doctor holds a Airc My First Grant, awarded by the association to new talents.

D: The researcher: more than a job or a vocation?
A: There are several personal reasons that can lead to the occupation of the researcher (curiosity, attitudes and interests, humanitarian, randomness), but ultimately for all of us becomes a passion and a mission.

Q: What is the motivation that led her to choose this life? If you could go back would take the same career?
A: In two words I made a choice that prefers the verb "be" rather than "having". As I mentioned before, I started this career because I wanted to study animal behavior in nature, only later I discovered the incredible charm of molecular biology and the possibility that you have to use it for a collective good. If in the past I had many doubts about the career undertaken, as the difficulties are overcome are happy not to have abandoned the world of research, also made the discoveries, personal fulfillment and the people I met during these years to pay off far all sacrifices.

Q: What are the deeper differences that you, as a woman first and then as a researcher, found between Italy and America? And why is back in Italy?
A: As a woman of science I never experienced discrimination during his time at NIH in the U.S. and I always had the impression of being listened to contribute different perspectives to the research lab where I worked. In Italy, unfortunately, is another story, still widespread in the academic world is a certain "machismo" and also the organization of work is not such as to allow the reconciliation, for example, with motherhood. A problem of organization and efficiency, there is also doing a lot of research often for lack of communication and sharing of resources among various departments. One aspect that I personally was very mature when I worked abroad was a chance to meet on an equal footing with the heads of department and laboratory experience that definitely had a lot greater than mine, I was not in any way held against the office. Unfortunately this happens very rarely in Italian universities. I came back because I grew up with the myth of Odysseus described in the Odyssey. It should start to learn and then use this knowledge to understand themselves (their potential and limitations) and to be confident of their work, but it is equally important return, especially for us Italians we feel and know the value of nostalgia (nostos algos-return-algos) to a country that currently has "cure" but with its ancient history and culture has made us unique in the world . In the end I went with the hope of helping to cure.

Q: What, in your opinion, key areas of research today?
A: Make a distinction between a search field and the other is not possible. We can not believe, for example, that research on HIV may be more or less important in cancer research or vice versa. I believe that all basic research should be supported.

Q: What about the meeting which was held at Maxxi of Rome. It was the first time he spoke to an audience of young people? More or less exciting than the present study to a group of experts?
A: I did a few lessons to university students in the past, but it was the first time that I spoke with high school kids. It was not a technical intervention but I talked about my experience of growth and the work of the researcher and I are very excited in trying to convey the passion and the emotions I feel for my work. In this respect was therefore a unique experience that will stay in my best memories.

D: Research and art. Why create this combination? What does "the researcher is very similar to an artist?
A: A researcher as an artist must be free to express themselves, they must both be able to see things from different points of view, must also use past knowledge to explore new dimensions, and finally they both work for the community, the researcher for the welfare body, the artist for the spiritual.

Q: Let's talk about research ethics, bioethics and morality. There should be limits? If so, how and when should be imposed? And by whom?
A: I try to do my job, having always before the secular version of the triad "faith, hope and charity." I do not think that the end justifies the means must always act with conscience, justice and compassion. At least that I have always appreciated the people who have been our guide.

Q: Where should we start to establish a solid foundation for the future of search? How to help improve the quality and finally the coveted "Header"?
A: First you need to convince those who have the ability to support research that is synonymous with future research and the Italians more than ever in this era need to see a future. Have more investment in research will also create more jobs and encourage merit the return of researchers who have specialized abroad. I believe these are the conditions for the establishment of a positive feedback that will surely lead to improved research and extension of our knowledge.

Source: emagazine.torvergata.it

0 comments:

Post a Comment